In partnership with local businesses and organizations as well as all three Chester County Commissioners, Hopewell is excited to be engaging in the Campaign for Kindness this October as we follow the example of Jesus to love our neighbor and spread kindness through our community. Free lawn signs, car magnets, and t-shirts are available as you spread kindness wherever you go!
We'd love to hear how this movement is making an impact. Share your story of giving or receiving kindness here!
Options with No Cost
- Hold the door for someone.
- Help someone load their groceries.
- Give someone a compliment.
- Return someone else’s shopping cart.
- Say “Have a great day” to a stranger
- Offer an umbrella to someone in the rain.
- Stand up for someone being bullied.
- Let someone go in front of you in line.
- Sit with someone who is new or alone at a school lunch table.
- Give someone your seat on the bus, train, church, etc.
- Give a teacher or health care worker a thank you note.
- Put kind words on a community bulletin board.
- Talk with someone you see often, but don’t generally chat with.
- Offer to take a group photo for someone.
- Call someone you haven’t spoken to in a while.
- Make a card for someone in a nursing facility.
- Offer to take someone’s dog for a walk.
- Make a thank you sign for sanitation workers.
- Say hello to someone who looks sad.
- Leave a nice note tucked in a library book.
- Write a thank you note for your letter carrier.
- Leave a note of affirmation in a public restroom.
- Donate clothing or toys.
- Write positive messages on a sidewalk.
- Smile at everyone you see today.
- Offer to take out a neighbor’s trash.
- Go for a walk or hike and smile and greet everyone you pass.
- Offer to rake a neighbor’s leaves.
- Bake some treats and deliver them to the fire or police station as a thank you.
- Paint a kind message on a small rock and leave it along a walking trail.
- Grab your family or a friend and stand outside of a store for an hour holding the door for everyone.
- Pray. Pray for someone you might not generally pray for, pray for an “enemy”, pray for our community.
- Pick up a packet of Christmas cards in the Hopewell lobby and write a message to be sent to those in prison.
- Write a note to one of Hopewell’s Beyond the Walls mission partners and leave it in the basket in the lobby.
- Donate a new or gently used coat to the Wesley Wagon in the lobby. Coats will go to local organizations for distribution to the community.
Campaign for Kindness Events
Saturday, October 1:
9:00 AM-4:00 PM
Join the Good Works home repair work crew at a home in St. Peter’s Village. Come for some or all of the day.
Monday, October 3:
Serve pre-made meals at Safe Harbor Shelter.
Wednesday, October 5:
Prepare gifts for our South African partners to be sent with our mission team in November.
Saturday, October 8:
8:30 AM-4:00 PM
Participate in flood relief work at Otterbein UMC with our Catalyst youth team (Youth and adults welcome). Come for some or all of the day.
Sunday, October 16:
Join the meal-packing event at Hopewell with Meals of Hope. Bring friends and neighbors to help us reach our goal of 35,000 meals (all ages).
Monday, October 17:
Serve pre-made meals at Safe Harbor Shelter.
Wednesday, October 19:
Join a family kindness activity at Hopewell. We’ll be making soap to donate! Families welcome!
Sunday, October 23:
Participate in Reverse Trick or Treating at several local senior living facilities. Meet at Hopewell in your Halloween costume, ride the bus, and give a gift instead of getting candy. Families welcome!
Sunday, October 30:
10:45 AM -Noon
Work on kindness projects at Hopewell with Kim Lloyd. We’ll be creating gifts to share with those in our congregation and beyond who need a smile!
Make Bagged Lunches for Safe Harbor (children will assemble the lunches during evening programming from 7:00-8:00 PM)
For more information, please contact Jen Lisowski, Director of Lay Ministries.
A huge thank you to our partners and sponsors!
Options with Some Cost
- Mail someone a card.
- Donate a book to a “Little Free Library”
- Give a plant or flowers to someone you know or to a stranger.
- Donate items to an animal shelter.
- Are your kids involved in sports? Sign up to be the snack parent or show up with a cooler of water to share.
- Buy coffee for a stranger.
- Donate new linens and towels to a local family shelter, such as Friends Association in West Chester.
- Send flowers to someone who is in a nursing facility or recovering at home.
- Leave a large tip when eating out.
- Provide gift cards to someone in need.
- Provide new baby items to moms in need, through organizations such as Birthright in Coatesville.
- Pay for someone’s gas at the gas station.
- Pay the grocery bill of someone in front of you.
- Shop and donate to a local food bank or leave your donations in the shopping cart at Hopewell.
- Participate in the golf fundraiser to benefit the Safe Harbor Shelter on October 20 (details at www.safeharborofcc.org).
- Send a care package to a college student or military personnel. Contact the church office for ways to contribute.