Save the Date - Planting Seeds: 9/30
Pray for the CIty
14th Annual Planting Seeds Event
Keynote Speaker Rev. Scott Chrostek
Pastor of Resurrection Downtown
Worship Speaker Rev. Dr. W. Wilson Goode, Sr.
Seek the peace and prosperity of the city…
Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper. Jeremiah 29:7 (NIV)
Hopewell Library News
Hopewell Library News Study packets of Hopewell’s seasonal studies, including DVDs, leader’s guide and worksheets, are available for checkout in the Library, Room Adam. You will find materials to borrow for self-study or groups for:
- Contend for the Faith: Lessons from Jude
- It Is Necessary: When God Says You Must
- Ponderings of the Heart: A Mother’s Reflections
- On This Rock: The Spirit Speaks to the Churches
- He Is Risen: Go and Tell!
- Suffering Servant: Who Has Believed, He Shall See Light
- Advent Dreams
South Africa Mission Trip: August 2017
The planning for the 2017 mission trip to South Africa has started. We are working on specific dates but looking at August to visit the Mosaic’s Paarl Valley location. On this trip we will be doing something new! Nielen wants to focus on the 47 Mosaic kids this year.
For those of you who love working with kids and would enjoy spending your week pouring love into the Mosaic kids, this is the trip for you! One week of the trip will be a camp for the Mosaic kids (similar to a VBS). A trip to a retreat center will end the week. We will continue to build houses so you can help us build 1-2 brick houses depending on how many people are on the trip. Details are still being worked through but there may be an opportunity to do both.
The trips to South Africa tend to last 10-14 days and cost $2,500-$3,000 depending on the cost of airfare. This price includes all guesthouse costs, meals, transportation and fun activities.
If you are interested in hearing more about the August trip, please contact Tony or Cammy Brantzeg at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Opportunities to begin Training for Christ Servant Ministry
Christ Servant Ministry is a lay ministry with special training and certification, the goal of which is to give the body of Christ, through a congregation, tools for effective ministry. Those desiring to become a Christ Servant Minister first take a Basic Course to receive certification as a Local Church Servant. Additional training is required to be certified as a Christ Servant Minister. Two opportunities are being offered to participate in the Basic Course:
- May 12 (evening) & 13 (daytime) - at Asbury UMC in Allentown, PA.
- August 4, 5, & 6 – at the Cedarville UMC near Pottstown, as part of the Laity Academy.
If you would like to learn more about becoming a Local Church Servant or a Christ Servant Minister, contact Deb Boyd (email@example.com) or any of Hopewell’s other CSMs.
Immersion Bible Study: Mondays in June
Coming Every Monday Evening in June to
the pavilion in Downingtown’s Kerr Park!
Take a refreshing plunge into Scripture on four summer eveningsas we dive deeply into
Immersion Bible Study
James and 1 Peter
“Immersion Bible Studies is a powerful tool in helping readers to hear God speak
through Scripture and to experience a deeper faith as a result.”
—Pastor Adam Hamilton, Church of the Resurrection UMC
Picnic Dinner followed by study led by Pastor John, each Monday in June
Zoom - A New Serving Opportunity
ZOOM is a new transportation program, developed by Family Service of Chester County. The purpose is to get people to and/or from the Community Volunteers in Medicine clinic in West Chester for treatment by healthcare providers who volunteer their services.
Perhaps you could serve as a ZOOM Volunteer Driver. Drivers self-schedule themselves on-line when they have time to drive. When a ride is accepted, the Driver then contacts the Rider to arrange pick-up details. The Rider might be a pregnant woman for pre-natal care; or a mom with a child; or a senior; or others.
You can be the caring friend who provides transportation as a ZOOM Volunteer Driver.
Required: valid drivers license and proof of auto insurance.
Fee for background check paid by Volunteer Chester County.
For more information, contact Deb Boyd, firstname.lastname@example.org.
God's Green Earth has 2 opportunities for volunteers who "love to get down in the dirt!"
#1: Become a member of the Raised Bed Team:
- Help the Preschool children plant in the fall and transplant them to pots in the spring.
- Plant vegetable seeds and plants by season - spring, summer and fall.
- Keep the beds watered and weeded.
- Harvest the crops and deliver to the Lord's Pantry in Downingtown.
Only interested in some parts of this project - that's fine!
#2: Become a member of the Labyrinth Garden Team:
- Members help mulch the beds in early spring.
- Volunteer for a 2 week shift where you are responsible for weeding the gardens.
- Plan on 30-60 minutes total over the 2 week period.
To volunteer or for more information - Sandy Lammey, email@example.com or 484-678-9939 OR Linda Mento, firstname.lastname@example.org or 484-798-5520
UM Night at the Phillies
Mark your calendars for UM Night at the Phillies on Saturday, July 29th at 7:05 pm as the Phillies take on the Atlanta Braves. Save the date as summer approaches. See Dick Pry to make your ticket reservation.
Have You Been CPR & AED Trained?
We are building a database of those in our congregation who have received official training, so please let Jen Lisowski (email@example.com) know who you are!
Boyd's Top 5 Most Wanted
- A few more people for Hopewell’s Sunday morning Coffee Team.
- People to prepare and/or serve a meal (or to provide a food item) on the 1st Monday every other month for the women and/or the men at Safe Harbor homeless shelter in West Chester.
- A few more people to help in the tech booth.
- A few more people serving once a month as sanctuary Greeters/Ushers.
- A few more people willing to plan, prepare and serve continental breakfasts at our Saturday new member classes, convened four times a year.
Everybody’s Gifted. Everybody Serves.
Contact Deb Boyd at firstname.lastname@example.org
Training, fellowship and fulfillment provided!